Edge of Darkness
Session 06 - Opportunity Knocks
The party speaks with Triz Dasha and, thanks to some awesome rolling by Aidan, manages to convert her to a friend. Friend is probably too strong a word, but at least she owes the party a favor. They promise to install her as the new head of the Komorav Brotherhood in exchange for her help.
The plan is to track down the pirate asteroid, go in, and storm the ship before anyone realizes what is happening. However as the saying goes, no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy, and this one is no different. Once inside the asteroid base, SV-3R ions the generator powering the pressure curtain which exposes the base to vacuum, killing everyone not in the ship.
Ships exchange fire while corresponding crews throw on their space suits. There is a threat of a proton torpedo lock, but the pilot isn’t THAT crazy to shoot a torpedo inside a cave. To board the ship, Kriv pulls out one of the loose proton torpedoes to act as a deterrent to ship-scale weaponry, which actually works.
Some more fight highlights:
- Kriv gets shot up pretty badly and knocked unconscious
- Grapple hook is used for speedy Zero-G travel
- SV-3R scores several solid hits with the Ion Cannon and disables the enemy ship
- Rabbit was fending off Komorav and hit brute of a guard by himself.
- Rabbit runs out of ammo and throws his gun at Komorav, scoring an insane amount of advantage and knocks out his air hose
- Triz finishes him off with a vibrosword through the faceplate and into his eyes
- After the 2 surviving pirates surrender, Triz guts them both (pilot and brute)
After dealing with the pirates and getting the enemy ship repaired, Triz takes the Aurora Vez and “escapes” with her crew. The party then restores power, repressurizes the base, and begins taking stock of what’s here.
Unless there’s an objection, I’m going to retcon the slave deaths you caused. I should have telegraphed the threat of innocents being killed a little better. The way things played out, some players could have felt like it was an adversarial DM trap. Instead, we’ll just have empty slave pens in the back and a healthy respect for using cold hard vacuum as a weapon. There are a few twisting knives coming down the pipe and I didn’t want this outcome to cause a perception of Eck vs Players.
I loved the fact that you put Triz in place to lead the Brotherhood. I think that will lead to some interesting stories in the future. Maybe a knife-twist too. :)
- (1) Mostly Secret Pirate Asteroid Base
- (2) empty cargo pods for the Nimbus. One is in better shape, one is in worse.
- (2) cargo pods worth of stolen iron – worth quite a bit of credits
- A few months of supplies
- Pirate stuff
- Pirate base stuff (generator, pressure curtain, etc.)
- Not many loose credits
Base Group XP:
+15 for the session
+1 for going along with Aerin’s Triz idea
+1 Dealing with Komorav and making sure the farmers are safe
Aerin Terix (Aidan)
+1 The Triz idea was YOUR idea
18 for session (133 total)
Requ “Rabbit” Druxmia (Aj)
+1 Remembering to grab data about the pirate stash
+1 Helped with pizza fund
19 session (49 total) – In the future expect around 15 per session.
17 for session (142 total)
Kriv Mizzix (Erik)
+1 for Proton Torpedo “shield”
+1 for pizza fund
19 session (124 total)
0 base (absent)
0 session (70 total)
Dorian Lowey (Nate)
0 base (absent)
0 session (27 total)
17 session (132 total)